Traditionally, teachers and trainers used in their practice one sole dominant learning paradigm (i.e. instructional or participative), thus limiting their creative potential. Recent studies instead show that in natural situations learners combine simultaneously 5 metaphors for learning: Imitation, Participation, Acquisition, Exercising, and Discovery. Also, game-based learning (GBL) supports creativity and inquiry-based learning processes.
PROACTIVE claims that if it is true that we teach how we were taught we can claim that we also learn as we were taught. We will create learning contexts where teachers of Comenius, Erasmus and Leonardo sub-programmes can apply creativity in designing their own GBL scenarios using digital tools. Within training workshops, teachers will use 2 game editors: a free of charge 3D virtual environment allowing collaborative interaction of the learners; and an Open Source framework for implementing 2D user-centred adaptable scenarios.
PROACTIVE will adapt the 5 metaphors in the tools, in order to foster creativity and support the flexibility of the teachers in designing their learning sessions in 18 pilot sites covering different areas and levels in 4 countries.
The main objectives of PROACTIVE are:
- To stimulate the creativity of trainers working in LLP sub-programmes, developing a conceptual framework for integrating different learning metaphors
- To introduce innovative ICT-based experiences in teaching and training practice, adapting and enhancing the game editors, integrating five learning metaphors
- To implement co-design creativity sessions and pilot sites for addressing school, university and vocational education scenarios
- To validate the proposed approach as a means of learning and evaluate its impact on teachers’ creativity and students’ outcomes.
PROACTIVE will produce Guidelines on Creativity Enhanced by GBL and disseminate a database of learning games and related active learning culture within EU education.
Tutor UB: Mario Barajas Frutos
Participants UB: José Luís Rodriguez Illera y Jordi Quintana (Greav), Albarat, Anna Trifonova, Frédérique Frossard, Karina Olmedo (FBG)
- Universitat de Barcelona, Spain (Coordinator)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
- Sapienza Università di Roma, Italy
- Università di Napoli Federico II, Italy
- CAST Limited, Centre for Advanced Software Technology Limited, UK
- University of Bucharest, Romania
Financial entity: LLP, KA3ICT, 2009
Date: 01/01/2010 - 31/12/2011
Web site: www.proactive-project.eu